Kitulgala Day Trip
A mere 2 hour drive from Colombo-Nuwara Eliya road, Kitulgala is a Rain Forest patch which attracts many resident and foreign tourists for its natural beauty. The Academy Awad-winning movie The Bridge on the River Kwai was filmed on the Kelani River near Kitulgala, although nothing remains now except the concrete foundations for the bridge Kitulgala is the base for white-water rafting in Sri Lanka but there are myriad of leisure and adventure activities that can be done in Kutulgala.
At Sri Lankan Expeditions, suggests following things to do if you are planning a trip to Kitulgala,
- White Water Rafting in Kelani River
- Flat Water Rafting for Kids in river branches in Kitulgala
- Jungle walks to see beautiful rivers and waterfalls
- Mountain biking on the roads or in the forest
- River bathing in the shallow branches of the main river in Kitulgala
- Visit pre historic Belilena caves in which the 12,000 year old skeletal remains
of the prehistoric ‘Balangoda man’ (Homesepiens Balangodensis) have been found
- Visit to remote Waterfalls and streams
- Waterfall Jumps and Waterfall Abseiling
- Bird Watching
- River expeditions
Sri Lankan Rice and curry for lunch and Curd with honey must is highly recommended to experience the local food flavours.
While one night or two nights stay is recommended Kitulgala can be enjoyed in one day also. But staying a night will be a nice experience. A night out in a eco lodge near the river bank in Kitulgala is amazing experience amidst a roaring.
Suggested departure time of the day trip – 6 am from Colombo
Highlights of Kitulgala day trip – White Water Rafting, Stream slides and confidence jumps and many adventure activities
What will be included in the day trip – Air conditioned car/ mini coach, driver , driver’s meals and extra activities cost or Water Rafting
(Trip starts from Colombo City and ends in Colombo City).